In his famous book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Stephen R. Covey states that “Sharpening the Saw” is critical to remaining effective.
My Great Grandfather, grandfather, father, and uncle were all finish carpenters. I grew up working for my dad and uncle as a carpenter. I remember getting the hand saws sharpened, and the care is taken to never let them touch a concrete floor or ground to keep them so. Attached is a photo of my Great Grandfather’s wooden mallet that he used to hammer in hand-hewn pegs in wood-framed barns in the 1800’s and some of the hand saws of my forefather’s era. Based on my family’s heritage and my early work life, I can truly relate to Stephen Covey’s wisdom for having lived it.
During this somewhat slower time of the COVID-19 Pandemic, Pearl Engineering is currently at work sharpening our saws in our own way or as we are calling it “Building a Better Pearl.”
So, what does this swell sounding slogan mean?
Well, it means that we are reinvesting our time and money to update and improve Pearl Engineering’s technology, skills, and careers in order to be more productive and efficient.
The end result is becoming a better consultant for our clients by having sharper tools available and the proficiency in using them to provide “Innovative solutions to complex problems.”
Areas that we are working on in this regard include:
- Updating software and performance with the latest Autodesk Revit 2021
- Implementing BIM 360 Document Management and Design Collaboration
- Implementing FARO As-Built Software for Autodesk Revit
- Transitioning to Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis Professional 2021 Software
- Updating our Quality Assurance Program
- Updating our BIM Standards and Modeling Protocols
- Developing our Rockwell Studio 5000 PLC Programming Capabilities
- Enhancing our Professional Engineering License Continuing Education Program
- Pursuing the Certified Associate in Project Management training and certification (CAPM)
- Updating our OSHA Safety Programs and Training including the new COVID-19 Protocols
- Providing training and time for Engineers in their preparation for the Professional Engineer Examination
- Updating our Piping Analysis and Modeling software
- Pursuing the Society of Human Resource Management’s Certified Professional accreditation (SHRM-CP)
- Expanding our Customer Relationship Management Software
- In-House Training for Safety Consulting Services
So as the economy regains its momentum and the demand for improvements and expansion in industrial facilities returns, we will be ready to be that much more effective and efficient for our clients.